Introduction: A thorough and considered approach.
The courses aim to give you solid practical skills and an enthusiasm that you will take with you. I offer you my 36 years experience and my love of figurative sculpture.
These are not a typical sculpture courses where you are left to your own devices to figure things out and many people return year on year to develop their skills.
Portrait sculpture courses are practical, perception and anatomy based and designed to get you further towards understanding what you see. You will be learning the whole time.
Each studio session is crafted to help you uncover and learn sculpture techniques and sculpture skills. Tuition will be both to the group, but also working individually with you to tailor your learning to your own needs.
I hope you will leave brimming with as much knowledge as I can pass on with the confidence to successfully undertake a portrait commission.
Course Dates 2019
- 13th - 16th June 2019. Venue: Druidstone, Ashburton, Devon
- 8th - 11h August 2019. Venue: Druidstone, Ashburton, Devon
- Date and venue to be arranged
- 22nd - 24th February 2019. Venue Marylebone High School, London
Mould Making and Casting courses are held at in the art studios at Sands School, Ashurton, Devon
Silicon Mould Making & Resin Bronze Casting. The course is designed to give all the technical info and experience needed
to get you confident about making your own silicone rubber moulds. We will look specifically at the choice and use of materials, deciding on the dividing line, ensuring the mould is keyed well and dealing with undercuts.
5-days is only a start, but you get a solid foundation, you will work on your own sculpture and see other peoples' moulds develop and the different ways to tackle different problems that present in each individual piece of sculpture etc.
A sculpture can look fantastic in resin-bronze. But it has to be done well and there are many aspects that cannot easily be learned from books or video. 3-days to mould, and 2 -days to cast and patinate your own piece.
Throughout the course you will focus on method and procedure in a pragmatic approach that enables each stage of perception to be readily grasped.
- Measuring and anatomical proportions:
- Develop acute observation through stages of perception
- Building an armature with different methods of construction
- Going beyond knowledge of the human anatomy
- Learning to close the gap between what is observed and what can be reproduced
- Creating a likeness:
- Working to commission
- Bringing the clay to life
- Knowing when to stop
- Rescuing a disaster
Silicon Mould Making. A practical and technically based course where you learn to make a mould of your own work and explore mould making problems and how to overcome them. Max dimension 30cm x 30cm x 30cm
Resin Bronze Casting. Getting it right. Casting your own work and learning to patinate using the hot flame method.
Portrait Modelling. The 4-day course is divided into 8 periods of sustained clay modelling. These are interspersed with relevant lectures and discussions. The skills used each day will be built upon in subsequent days, so that a protocol is developed that proceeds from the simple to the complex, from the external forms to the subtle details.
Each day will focus on specific aims and objectives in rendering a life-like portrait bust, with demonstrations and lectures covering style in sculpture, sculptural language and aesthetics.
The course concludes with a critique of the work and an assessment of what has been learned. The heads are prepared for firing, for later collection.
Silicon Mould Making & Resin Bronze Casting . The 5-day course is structured to both practically make a silicon-mould and to have supportive lectures and demonstrations about problem solving in mould-making.
The 2-day Bronze Resin Casting course gives you time to learn the essential skills of bronze resin-casting to make the work look like bronze. Other materials are also explored and hot patination is an important part of the course.
News: Discounts available for .
Portrait Modelling 4-day Courses include all materials, clay fired head, a simple lunch and refreshments throughout the day £445.
Silicon Mould Making & Bronze Resin Casting 5-day Course includes refreshments. Materials not included. £545.
- 5% Previous Participants. MAS, Devon Guild and WPA Members
- plus 5% Early Bird Bookings 2 moths before start date
- plus 5% Bring a friend who books with you
- plus 5% For booking 2nd course in same year
- A simple soup and salad lunche is provided on the portrait courses. All courses are within a short walking distance of shops and cafes.
- Refreshments on all courses are provided throughout the day and include a range of teas, the best coffee, herbal drinks and snacks.
- Accommodation is not included in the cost of the course. If you would like recommendation with choosing your accommodation in South Devon I will be happy to help and forward you links to accommodation sites. Please let me know well in advance, as the best places are in demand in school holidays.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like further information or to talk about the suitability of the courses for you.
Or to discuss running course from your studio or if you would like more info about personal Mentoring.
You have as much talent for teaching as you do for sculpture and I’m guessing that’s pretty rare.